Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I'm at my sister's (they're away) and the terrapin seems

Customer Question

I'm at my sister's (they're away) and the terrapin seems lethargic and not it's normal self. It has a uv light, filtered tank but isn't coming out of the water and doesn't appear to be eating. It's around 4 or 5 or so in age. I know little about terrapins but it doesn't appear right.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. It's kind of you to be concerned about your sister's terrapin. Often when they seem 'off' like this, it's because something isn't quite right in the environment. There are also subtle signs you can look for that can tell us more about what's wrong. So, some additional information will be helpful.When the terrapin swims, does it lean to one side in the water? Or, is it not swimming but just floating?Have bubbles been coming from its nose or mouth?What kind of terrapin is it - red eared slider, painted, side neck, etc.?What is the temperature under the basking light? In the water?What brand is the UVB light? How old is the bulb?What is the terrapin normally fed? Any supplements ?Thank you.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hi Claire,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Terrance. How is everything going?

Anna