Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a rankins dragon, Sits in water bowl all day, Seems

Customer Question

I have a rankins dragon
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dragon?
Customer: Sits in water bowl all day
JA: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?
Customer: Seems fine ..just spends all day in water
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dragon eating normally?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dragon having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Dont know
JA: How is the dragon behaving differently?
Customer: Sending all day in water
JA: What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: How is your day ?
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: Do you think i should be worried about this behavior ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?
Customer: Shes housed with a male ..should i seperate them ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

UVB linear tube or compact coil, strength age and brand?

Basking bulb?

Diet prey/Veggie?

Supplements?

Have you checked the temps?

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
40 gallon tank with sand subsrate...warm side 90' with 105' peak basking area that is a multilayer of grape vine ...cold side is aroind 75' and that is where the water dish is and is where she is spending most of her time ...shes housed with a male and doesnt spend that much time in the water ...is she prego ?
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

Thank-you! You should remove the sand. It is deadly. It is ingested over time can cause a blockage. It is also an irritant of the skin and can cause eye issues. I suggest cage carpet, tile or paper. The next issue is that we never house two dragons together. A male will over breed a female. One breeding and she can lay eggs the whole season.

As far as if she is Gravid, a gravid female will act like she wants to escape and glass dance as well as will be digging. I will give you some information on preparing in case she is Gravid to prepare:

http://repticzone.com/articles/beardeddragonbreeding101hrtmtn.html

The laying in the water is usually several reasons. The Dragon needs to pass stool, is overheated or getting ready to shed. At this point in time I would take a watch and see if all is normal other than the staying in the water.

Joan