Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

He hasn't seemed to have moved all day he is frozen in 1

Customer Question

Hi he hasn't seemed to have moved all day he is frozen in 1 spot and when I try poking on prodding him still nothing.. I have tried taking him out of water and sitting for a while and putting him back in whilst trying to heat him up.. His eyes haven't sunk in and he doesn't seem to be hard but he'd just not moving.. He's maybe about 10 or 11
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the reptile. What is the reptile's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's a yellow bellied slider terrapin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Waffles?
Customer: I've had him for about 9 years although he hasn't had a uv light but he still seemed adjust to his current surroundings
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Please do a few tests for me.

Please squeeze the back foot and tell me if he has a pain reaction.

Next please prod the tail and see if he moves the head.

Last put in a warm soak of 90*f and let me know if there s any response.

I will be standing by.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Have you gotten any reactions to the tests?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

If you do not get any Pain reaction and nothing from prodding or the soak, then I am afraid the turtle is gone. The sunken eyes indicate there has been an ongoing issue of illness. Turtle are stoic and hide illness well. sometimes we see they do not show anything until too late. I am so sorry to have to deliver this news.

Joan