Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My sons gecko just did a poo with 3 relatively big wet reddy

Customer Question

My sons gecko just did a poo with 3 relatively big wet reddy lumps, there was also the usual white stuff!! Is this something to be concerned about? We have been feeding him locusts!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the locust?
Customer: No don't thinks so he send to really enjoy them!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. Some additional information will help to determine if this is serious.
Are the lumps bright red?Are they a different texture than the rest of the droppings?If you are asked to rate my service please don't do that just yet since we are just beginning. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They were like a rusty brown with pieces of locusts thru them, but the consistency was pretty much the same as normal
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. It sounds like the locusts are just too big for your gecko. He is not digesting them well. Prey insects should be no bigger than the space between the gecko's eyes. I would try feeding him crickets or meal worms. If this happens again with smaller prey insects, it's possible he has a parasite infestation. In that case, you'll need to see a reptile vet. If that happens, this link will take you to a directory of vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope this will turn out to be a one time event.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!