Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Our turtle has it's limbs outside the shell but it's head is

Customer Question

Our turtle has it's limbs outside the shell but it's head is inside with their eyes closed. I believe my sister has have moved the turtle with no reaction in return from the turtle which is rare because it usually moves with any kind of stimulation.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: Myrtle and I would say 14-15 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Myrtle?
Customer: My sister and Mom say she was acting normal up to the last moment they saw her last night. Myrtle was left in her kiddie pool outside over night, which they have done before in the past, and this morning they noticed Myrtle wasn't moving when my Mom tried to feed her.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Myrtle. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear Myrtle is having a problem.The first thing we need to do is determine if she is alive. It's possible she was attacked by a raccoon or other predator overnight, and suffered head injuries. Since her legs are out of the shell, squeeze one of her toes. There should be some kind of a reflex in response- a leg movement, curling if the toes, etc.Whether you get a reflex from the toe squeeze or not, next place her under her basking light to see if the warmth will cause some sign of life. The basking area should be about 85* F. We don't want it too warm since she isn't capable of moving out of the heat right now.If there is any sign of life from either the squeeze or the warmth, the best thing to do would be to take Myrtle to a reptile vet. After you try these two things, let me know what happens. If you need help finding a vet, give me your zip code and I'll locate one. I hope Myrtle will be OK.Anna