Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I just found a lump on my bearded dragon and I GAVE M A WARM

Customer Question

i just found a lump on my bearded dragon and I GAVE HIM A WARM BATH AND HE DID NOT HAVE A BOWEL MOVEMENT
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: sTITCH i can not afford right now to take him to vet I AM SO WORRIED i love him
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I AM?
Customer: He really has not been eating good also I BOUGHT CRICKETS ON Line and he ate them but not like the ones in the pet store
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Stitch is having a problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.Where on his body is the lump located?How old is he?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?When was his last bowel movement?What substrate do you have on the cage floor?What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?What do you normally feed him? Any supplements?Sorry for so many questions, but all of this information is important. Thank you.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I have to go to a dentist appointment now, but will look for your responses as soon as I return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I WAS TOLD THIS ONLY COST FIVE DOLLARS REFUNDABLE AND SO FAR i am getting asked for more money and no answers also I DID NOT GET A RECIEPT, I WOULD LIKE MY CREDIT CARD DISOLOVED ON THIS WEB SIGHT!!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
lump is on his left side, he is not even a year old,70 to 70 degrees,3 days ago,the rug material got at pet store,150 watts ultra red one at night and brighter one during the day, he ate some apples and kale yesterday, no crickets
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me.I suspect you got your information on care from a pet store. Most people do. While we should be able to rely on such information, unfortunately, it is often wrong. They sell people the wrong lighting, advise the wrong foods, and often don't know the correct temperatures for the various reptiles. After months of things not being quite right, the animal becomes ill. Most of what you have been told is wrong, and I suspect that is why Stitch is having so much trouble. Even though you have been trying so hard to keep him healthy, when you didn't have correct information to begin with, things are going wrong.

Lumps such as this can be one of the early signs of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). MBD is caused by an imbalance of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D in the body. The most common reason for its occurrence is lack of UVB light rays. A fluorescent bulb or a basking light will not provide UVB. Full-spectrum lighting, UVA, and UV also do not. UVB light bulbs are only effective for about 6 months. they still look fine after that, but don’t emit enough UVB rays to do any good. I recommend that you get a UVB light as soon as possible. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand. Pet store personnel are sometimes not well-informed about UVB, and will try to sell you full-spectrum. Instead of relying on them, read the packaging yourself to make sure you’re getting what you need. The other thing Stitch needs is a calcium supplement. His crickets should be dusted with a plain calcium powder. Gut loading is not the same thing.

The next big problem is that, at 70*F, Stitch is freezing cold. A beardie who is cold will be lethargic, not want to eat a lot, and may even try to hide. The very coldest part of his cage should be 85*F to 90*F. For a youngster his age, the basking spot should be at least 105 *F. The latest research on bearded dragons has shown that they can't even begin to digest their food properly until their internal body temperature reaches 98*F. Being cold-blooded, the only way for that to happen is for them to lie in a very hot basking area.You can increase the temperature by using a higher wattage bulb in the basking light fixture, lowering t he fixture itself (but not so low that he can be burned on it), or by adding a second fixture. If you need a second fixture, you don't have to buy something expensive from a pet store.If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a clip-on metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware and home improvement stores sell similar light fixtures as work lights.

Next, I'll give you a first aid measure. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 warm water (100*F) and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak Stitch for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely. With warmer temperatures a a couple of soaks, Stitch should have an improved appetite and begin having bowle movements.

I would discontinue the kale. It binds calcium, making it unusable by the body. Apples and other fruit should be used onlay as a treat Stitch needs a variety of greens and produce, such as collards, dandelions (from an unsprayed lawn only), summer squash, green beans, and many others. I'm going to give you a link to a reputable and easy to understand site for information on feeding because there is too much for me to explain here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

If you are able to provide UVB light, calcium, warmer temperatures, and a proper diet, Stitch may improve over a period of a few weeks. If you're unable to do these thing, he will get sicker and sicker, and eventually die.

Because pet stores give out so much incorrect information, I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. Joan has many years experience keeping and rescuing beardies.Her care sheet is used on some reputable websites, so you may have even seen it before. I suggest that you use the care sheet as a check list to provide the best possible care for your beardie. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dragon will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet
Bearded dragons should be housed alone.
Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:
0-3 months- baby 3-12 months-juvenile 12-18 months- sub adult 18 months + -adult

Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
A hide of some sort like a cave.
A food dish and water dish.
Plastic spray bottle
Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-115* degrees F (40.5 - 46*C)
Cool side: 85-90 (29.5 - 32*C)

Adults: Warm basking spot: 105-110*F (40.5- 43*C)
Cool side: 80-85 (26.6 - 29.5*C)
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,.
A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.

What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.

Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens. A baby eats 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.

Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.
Fruits and Vegetables:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Walnut Shell Graphic:

http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm

Sexing Bearded Dragons:

http://repticzone.com/articles/sexingbeardeddragons.html

Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

I just saw your request for a refund and removal of your account. I will send your request to customer service. It may take a couple of days to process. In the meantime, if you still want a refund, do not rate my service. I do hope you'll be able to nurse stitch back to health.

Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna