Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have two Asian box turtles (semi aquatic turtle) and have

Customer Question

Hi Anna, I have two Asian box turtles (semi aquatic turtle) and have a few questions. They live in a 40 gal tank for now, the water is always at 80 F. There's a uvb and basking area on all day and off every night and I've been feeding them a variety of salads, veggies fruits and proteins depending on the day. I have a filter and do water changes maybe once a week Neither swims lopsided but they both yawn a lot on the basking area and if I put them in their dry container they'll bury themselves and sleep 24+hrs it seems. Also one is almost 2x the size of the other but I bought them at the same size, the larger one eats a lot and I have been cutting it's diet or taking it out once in a while to ensure the other turtle is still eating but the late one keeps getting the white spots on its top she'll I can't figure out why since the small one has none. Also the small one today woke up and it had a few bubbles come out its nose I have NEVER seen this from it before. It was scared for a minute but I am afraid it may have a lung infection is there any way to tell and do you see anything suspicious?? Please help
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear your small turtle is having a problem. You do have cause for concern. Any time bubbles come from the nose or mouth we have to suspect a respiratory infection. If such an infection goes on long enough, it does often spread to the lungs (pneumonia). That's when we see lopsided swimming. Since you have only seen bubbles once, you ma have caught this early. I do recommend that you make a vet appointment soon. If there is an infection, you'll need a safe prescription antibiotic to clear it up. I would also discuss the turtle's failure to grow with the vet while you are there. If you don't already have a reptile vet, give me your zip code and I'll find one for you.As for the white spots on the other turtle, there are a number of possibilities. Is it possible to send a picture? If so, you can upload one by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up. If you can't send a picture, give me a more detailed description. Do the spots look fuzzy? Are they flush with the shell or raised? How big are they? If you gently scrape them, do they come off?Thank you.