Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

We have 3 sliders. 2 yellow belly and 1 red ear. Took notice

Customer Question

We have 3 sliders. 2 yellow belly and 1 red ear. Took notice that the bigger of the 3 which is a yellow belly. He or she's cheeks or jaw is bigger the usual. Looks like chipmonk cheeks to tell you the truth.
We change the water every 2 wks and clean the filter also. What could be the cause of this.
Submitted: 4 months ago via TotallyTortoise.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm abiologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of your turtle's problem.

The swollen area is called the tympanic region. The most common cause is an ear abscess or infection. This is not something that is easy to treat. It will probably require injections of antibiotics, and surgical draining may be necessary. Less common causes of this type of swelling include vitamin A deficiency and tumors.

You will need to make an appointment with a reptile vet. There is no home treatment for this. Infections, abscesses, and tumors all need to be treated by a vet. You don't want to increase the turtle's vitamin A without knowing for certain that's what is wrong, because too much vitamin A can be harmful.This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

In the meantime, all you can do is double check to make sure all conditions are optimal. That won't cure the problem, but it will help support the turtle's immune system.

Because there is so much misinformation available both online and from pet stores, I’m also including a care sheet I’ve written for slider turtles.You can use the care sheet as a checklist to make sure everything is right. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your turtle will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Well-cared for sliders can live 30 years or more.

The Tank

It's recommended that a baby slider have at least a 15 gallon tank. By the time the turtle is 3-4 years old, it will need a 60 gallon tank, so it's best to get the biggest you can in the beginning. You can also use a large RubberMaid tote. That's not as pretty as a tank, but costs a lot less. Set up the tank so there's a land area and a water area. Put the basking light at one end so the whole tank doesn’t get too hot. You want the water to be about twice as deep as the turtle is long. If the turtle is two inches long, you'll want four inches of water.

Temperatures and Basking Area

Turtles need certain types of lighting and need to be warm. Air and water that are not warm enough can lead to fungal and respiratory infections and unhealthy shells. Turtles must have a basking area where they can get out of the water, dry off, and bask in very warm light. The ambient air temperature in the tank should be around 75 *F (24*C) , with the basking area warmer still. Over the basking area there should be some sort of lamp that will take a 40-60 watt incandescent bulb (or you can buy a ceramic light fixture made just for reptiles). If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware stores sell similar fixtures as work lights. The basking area should be kept at 85-90*F (29 to 32*C). Use a digital probe thermometer to be sure. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the light fixture.The lights that come with the covers on aquariums are not suitable for turtles. You'll also need a submersible aquarium heater that will keep the water 78-82*F (26 to 28*C).

UVB Light

It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, SunGlo, UV, or UVA are not the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to your turtle's health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because your turtle won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death.UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out most of the rays turtles need to stay healthy. To prevent MBD, turtles also need calcium. The easiest way to provide it is to place a cuttlebone in the tank. Cuttlebones are sold in bird departments of pet stores.

Turtles are very sensitive to water quality. Even if you change the water every day, it can still contain harmful chemicals. A good filtration system is essential. Water changes are also needed even with a filter. If the tank is too small, no filter can keep up with the amount of waste that turtles produce.

Feeding is an area where pet stores often give out bad information. Commercial food should make up only 1/4 of the diet. Animal products (cooked meat, earthworms, canned cat food) should make up another 1/4. The remaining half should be plant foods (dark lettuce like romaine, bits of strawberry or melon, etc.). Hatchlings should be fed every day. Older turtles should be fed 3 times per week. Overfeeding can lead to gout and kidney failure.

For Further Reading

This is among the most reputable sites on turtles.

Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?