Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

My bearded is lethargic and has not eaten anything in 3 days

Customer Question

Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. I am not usually online at this hour, but I just happened to wake up and saw your question. I can give you a first aid measure for now, and in the morning, we can try to figure out the cause of the problem.There are two things you can do tonight. Start with a long soak because after three days your beardie is probably dehydrated. Prepare a bath consisting of 1/2 Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants) and 1/2 warm water (100*F). If you can't get Pedialyte tonight, just use water. Soak your dragon for 29 to 30 minutes.
Next, make sure your daytine temperatures are correct. The basking area should be 105*F to 110*F. The coolest section should be 80* to 85* for an adult, 85*to 90* for a youngster under one year. Being a bit chilly is a common reason for appetite loss.I'll ask you a few questions that may help us figure out what is wrong, and will look for your answers in the morning.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Here are the questions:What temperatures do you normally maintain under the basking light and on the cool side?How old is your dragon?Has he been passing normal droppings?What do you feed? Any supplements?What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?What substrate do you use on the cage floor?Thank you.Anna