Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

He had a very hard time took aver a week...we

Customer Question

He had a very hard time took aver a week...we put him in a warm water dish and gently clipped away some of the skin. He seems very still and thin he is out of his "cave' during the day, does not seem to be sleeping and is not interested in food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the reptile. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stripey?
Customer: Except for the shedding problem and the thinness and lack of appetite I don't think there something we could tempt his appetite with..Also what is pediolyte?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech working with reptiles for 30+ years what type of Reptile is this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
leopard gecko
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Thank-you and I have a few more questions.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

Passing stool?

Temps in the enclosure?

Do you have a Moist hide as well as a Dry hide?

How long has he been off food?

Where in Canada are you located to help locate Herp Vets in your area?

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

I will be out to lunch for about an hour but will respond as soon as I get back.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is in a 10 gallon tank...paper towel on the bottom,,,there is a heat pad under half the tank he has a moist and a dry hide plus water to drink. he is fed meal worms and an occasional cricket. He hasn't eaten for a few days that I can see. We are on Northern Vancouver Island, BC< Canada I don't know the temperature
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Thank-you for the information. The husbandry sounds good. She does need to have a dish of plain calcium in the tank at all times and her prey dusted 5 days a week with Plain calcium and 2 days a week with a vitamin. What I suspect is a Vitamin A issue causing the shedding problem and also a Parasite issue causing the lack of appetite as well as weight loss and inactivity.

We can try some first aid by giving warm soaks in a 50/50 pedialyte and warm water soak for hydration. We can try and supplement with some chicken baby food mixed with calcium. Drop on the snout and allow the gecko to lick it off. This is a link for Herp Vets in BC: I suggest a Fecal be done and an acid fast stain to rule out Crpto, which is a wasting disease.