PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 years experience in veterinary medicine, special interest in reptiles and arachnids.

I am wondering if I can give baytril/ssd otic to a turtle

Customer Question

I am wondering if I can give baytril/ssd otic to a turtle orally. Will the ssd additive to the solution hurt the turtle if injested? I know it is usually topical.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the turtle will be able to digest that. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: No name, unknown age. Found with aural abcess and broken front right leg. box turtle.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the box turtle?
Customer: I believe based on shell condition that it was captively held before with poor nutrition, so I am trying to make it live so I can find it a home. I have limited funds, so am hoping the baytril/ssd drops I already have wil work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

I did some research on using the otic medication orally, but it appears there's limited data. What I can find shows risks for toxicity in reptiles and birds with ingesting the SSD because of the sulfa component in the medication. Additionally, what information I can find recommends only using batryil injectably in chelonians. For this reason, I would opt for having him examined and a purchasing the injectable version and then giving injections.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is treatment going with your turtle?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?