Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

I have a 1 year old panther chameleon that i will not eat.

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old panther chameleon that i will not eat. Its ben about 2 weeks and during this time he has only eaten 1 superworm and one roach. He seems otherwise ok, but when i hold the food out for him in my hand he will not take it. instead he just runs out on to my arm as he really seems to enjoy the free roam. What should i do?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long have you had Hank?
2) Are you allowing any free roaming insects in his enclosure or only offered by hand?
3) What form of lighting are you using (be as specific as possible). When were the bulbs replaced, if any are used?
4) What is the ambient temp in his enclosure?
5) What is the basking temp?
6) What is the humidity of his enclosure?
7) What supplement are you using?