Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

He ate, he appeared to choke, up the food, but now is limp

Customer Question

he ate, he appeared to choke, spit up the food, but now is limp and lifeless, no pulse that I can find and he does not react to laying him on his back....can't see breathing either....is he dead or is there a chance he is brumating? 1 year old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the reptile will be able to digest that. What is the reptile's name?
Customer: STinky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stinky?
Customer: we did try to revive him...hope that did not hurt him....now we have him under his light again but we fear he is no longer with us\
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile rescue.What type of Reptile are we talking about?What was he eating when this happened?What did you do to try and revive?How long has he been like this?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1 yr old bearded dragon, he was eating crickets and a meal worm....we rubbed under his chin in case he needed to vomit, we have laid him on his back (after we read about brumation), non responsive....about an hour now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I even tried a gentle reptile resusitation version and it seemed his lungs filled a bit but no exhalation, etc.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
He should not be on his back. it makes it harder to breath if he is is choking. To breath fr him you would need to cover both nose and mouth to resuscitate and start mild compressions. He would not go into Brumation at this point in the year. Please gently pinch a back foot and see if there is any reaction to the pain. You should get him puling area from you. Alos please gently tap next to the eye on the side of the head and see if the eyes move at all.Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
nothing....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we only laid him on his back to see if he'd right himself....there's still no response.....he seems to be losing some colour as well
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
I would leave him in tank over night and see if he responds, but I am afraid from what you told me he is gone. Usually there is some deep pain response when the food is squeezed and when taping by the eyes there is usually eye lid movement, if he is alive. I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is hard to loose a beloved pet. My condolences.Joan.