Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I have a garter snake nest under one corner of my solarium.

Customer Question

I have a garter snake nest under one corner of my solarium. How do I get rid of them and prevent their return? Do moth balls repel snakes?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.The Garter snakes are there because there is a food source. Unfortunately the need to be manually removed from the area. The key to keeping them out is to clear the area of any food source which would include slugs, earthworms, leeches, lizards, amphibians , ants, crickets, minnows, and rodents. I usually tell people to clear shrubs around the area which helps and have an exterminator in keep away the food source.Moth balls do not repel snakes. Home Depot and Lowes should carry a product to keep snakes out from the area. I suggest a local trapper to get the snakes out as there is no good way to force them out.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?