Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I tried to use Ivermectin on my turtle because of lice/mite

Customer Question

I tried to use Ivermectin on my turtle because of lice/mite or maybe weebil problem. The turtle can hardly open her eyes and is not eating. I sat her in charcoal in water and used eyedropper to try to give her some more charcoal and water. She perked up a little last night but this morning is moving very slowly and not eating and not opening her eyes and was very cold but I put her under lightbulb/heat lamp and she is warmer. I googled and found out GABA and choline might help. There are no veterinarians who specialize in turtles in Waco. What should I do?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.The turtle will need to see a Vet asap. Ivervectin is toxic to Reptiles and Ivermectin should NEVER be used in chelonians. It can cross their blood brain barrier and cause neurological disease and death. The tortoise will need to have an IV to help Detox. These are Herp Vets in in Tx: If one is not close you may have to travel or see if the the local Vet will do a consult on treatment in order to save the turtle. One of the best consulting Vets is Dr Douglas Mader in Florida Keys.There is no easy solution to treating the turtle, other than to have him treated hands on.Joan