Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a super nmac blizzard leopard gecko that is still

Customer Question

I have a super nmac blizzard leopard gecko that is still fairly young and she was the first one I got. When I got her she had a decent tail not too fat but growing in width now she is bloated and has a thin tail as well. I see her drink from time to time but not often. The other two I have with her are in perfect health but she has been bloated for a good while. They eat waxworms, mealworms and occasionally crickets. I have calcium I. The tank, they are on coconut substrate. (The kind you soak the block in water) her sister I had to give back to the seller who took her to a vet cos she wouldn't eat at all. Anyway, how can I get my super Mac to gain weight again? Sometimes she poops perfect after eating and other times I notice she doesn't poop at all. The belly looks like its filled with air versus fluid. Could you help?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.Have you had her checked for Parasites by Herp Vet?What is the temps in the enclosure?State to locate a Herp Vet?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had her checked by the same vet that the seller took my other one to. However they did not specialize in herps. They just said that she was underweight and to keep an eye on her. I am in Philadelphia, PA. The temp in the enclosure seems to be around 80 but my thermometer in the tank doesn't seem very accurate though. I have day and night bulbs that are 75 watts the night lamp is cooler than the day lamp.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hi,The temps should be around 86*-88* for the best digestion. I would get rid of the mulch and use Cage carpet, paper or towels. Geckos their environment and will ingest it causing a blockage. The wax worms are too fatty to feed as as a staple. Stick to meal worms, phoenix worms, crickets or silk worms. I would ike to try some first aid by giving a nice warm soak in a 50/50 warm water soak and pedialyte, followed by some chicken baby food mixed with calcium for supplemental feeding. Tjis can help until the Herp Vet can be seen. I suggest a Fecal be done as well as an acid fast stain to rule out Crypto Virus which is a wasting disease. Vry important to have the Gecko checked.Your best Vet to see is At University of PA, since they havea clinic that is well versed in treatment of Reptiles.JoanThis is a link for Herp Vets in PA: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/penn.html