Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

He is a 7 month old bearded dragon...we moved him to a bigger

Customer Question

He is a 7 month old bearded dragon...we moved him to a bigger glass tank with lots of rocks and stuff...very cool...he was eating great...out of my hand but prior to this had an eye that wouldn't open...not oozing just closed...when he moved to bigger tank seemed ok...eating and going to he moves around almost away from where warm light is and his mouth tiny bit open with tongue where I can see it...also tonight first time in two days he ate a worm out of my hand ....the second one I fed him he took but had in his mouth a very long time kept opening and closing and I could tell having some kind of trouble...happened one time a few days ago too, he ended up spitting out took a long time for him to get it down and after didn't want to have anything to do with worms would close his eyes when I would put by him...also today eyes very closed and seemed very lethargic...very worried about him...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dragon will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?
Customer: No just about the eye that won't open. We got him at Petco and I have heard bad stories about that...let me know what I need to do to get his opinion I will pay just guide me...maybe I should send a pic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Substrate?Diet Prey/Veggies?Supplements?Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?UVB bulb how old, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?Joana
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been feeding him veggies and worms and also crickets but the crickets run and hide before he can get many times so I would hold and he would eat but not lately...I have a standard day light and light for night but maybe the glass area is too big for him and he is too young for it...he was fine before I moved him...he is having that trouble with his mouth...staying slightly open and first worm he ate and second was very hard to get down I could see him struggling...but I was worried because of his eye that maybe he had some sort of growth or spreading disease that has gotten into his throat and preventing him from swallowing easily...I don't know...
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
You do not have a UVB Bulb?What type of worms?Do you use any supplements?Which Veggies do you feed?Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He eats the worms they gave us and have been feeding him for last 6 months...they are correct and I do have UVB bulb but maybe it's not warm enough as the area is big as I said...but I don't think that would cause the mouth thing and him being so lethargic
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me more about the UVB light? is it a linear tube or compact coil? Strength age of bulb and Brand?What type of worms are you feeding?Temps in the basking area, warm side and cool side?Do you use any supplements?