Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

He has pooped in a week and a half........ last time he did

Customer Question

He has pooped in a week and a half........ last time he did poop he had a big piece of plastic stuck in his butt...... in really worried Sorry hasn't poop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the reptile?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.What type of Reptile do you have?I will have some more questions once you answer.Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A bearded dragon not sure how old hi is
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me the substrate you use?Diet Veggies/prey?Is he over a year old or small under a year?Eating and drinking?Do you have any fake plants in enclosure?Temps In basking area, warm side and cool side?Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes he is eating (meal worms and kale) and drinking .I was told he is almost full grow so I'd say over a year.No fake plants just a piece of wood. On the bottom is the a rug that came with the started kit I got.The basking temp are about 88°f on the warm and 80°f
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Have a few issues that may be causing the problems. Meal worms should never be fed nor Super worms. The hard outer shell can cause an impaction as well as they are fatty and can affect the liver. The only acceptable feeders are crickets, silk worms, phoenix worms, dubia roaches and goliath worms/horned worms. The veggie needs to be changed. Kale binds calcium and can cause Metabolic Bone Disease. Acceptable Veggies are collard greens, Mustard greens, escarole, curly endives, dandelion greens, butternut squash small bits of strawberries and raspberries.The temps are also too low for digestion. The basking area should be 105-110*F, 90's on warm side and mid 80's on the cool side. You need to make these corrections. Over a year 80% veggies and 20% live pry.To aid with pooping please give a soak in some warm water and gently massage the abdomen from snout to Vent. If this does not help. You can try some baby food prunes and then wait an hour and then give another soak repeating the massage.Joan