Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I have a 2yr old albino corn snake (female), she hasn't

Customer Question

I have a 2yr old albino corn snake (female), she hasn't eaten in 4 weeks, I only feed her frozen, then thawed mice. she appears still healthy, didn't loose any weight. I'm very concerned any advice on what to do? Also do you know of any veterinarians located in my area that see reptiles, I live in South Park PA 15129 my e-mail address is***@******.***.. **** PLEASE HELP****
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Habitat, temperatures and shedding all have to do with whether a snake will not eat. Make sure that your temps are correct. The next thing you will want to look for is shedding. If a snake is getting ready to shed they may go off feed until done. Lighting can affect the snakes as they will not hibernate, but without the proper light cycle it can decrease the appetite. It is known that some snakes can go off prey for a year at a time. I would make sure the snake is getting a good soak, so he is not getting dehydrated. Get a weight to be sure he is not loosing weight. Try some different type of prey. Some snakes will start eating if the diet is changed up a bit. You can try braining the mice which is allowing the fluid from around the brain area to leak afte make an incision or cutting through the skull. If there seems to be weight loss, then a Herp Vet Visit should be done. If you need a Herp Vet. I can locate one with a state or country.Pythons and Boas are known to go on hunger strikes at different times of the year. During breeding season and winter months we see the hunger strikes. This may be one of those incidents. Keep up with soaks, get the weight and monitor it for any loss. Try different foods. try waiting two weeks before offering food. If this continues, you may need to see a Herp Vet if this continues and there is weight loss. Joan is a Link for Herp Vets in PA:
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Please hit Reply for clarification to follow up with me.Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If she is in heat or wants to mate, will that decrease or make her not want to eat?
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Snakes do not go in heat since they ova reproducers, but they due get anxious in mating season, especially males and will go off food. If I have addressed your concerns Please take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars so I can be compensated for my time and answers.Joan