Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

Im Raphael a few day ago I caught a skink with a tail that

Customer Question

Hi, Im Raphael a few day ago I caught a skink with a tail that was cut off not frome me and there was some dirt on it and some scales where a little bit black cause the wound seem to evole some scale being token off is there any thing I should do to help the lizard and the first day I put it into it cage I gave a few cricket and it started to eat thme but now he is not eating at all
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the skink bleeding a lot?
Customer: no not realy
JA: Phew. What is the skink's name?
Customer: no name
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the skink?
Customer: well it wild caught and it not eating much
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hi Raphael and welcome. My name is Anna and I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. It's kind of you to care about this injured skink. It sounds like the tail is infected. Such infections spread through the body and become life threatening.As a first aid measure you can clean the wound with Betadine (Sold in first aid departments of discount stores and pharmacies). However, the skink is going to need more help than what you can give it. If you plan to keep it as a pet, it will need to be treated by a reptile vet, and you'll have to take some additional steps to prepare a proper habitat for it. If you hope to be able to release it back to the wild, the best thing to do is give the skink to a wildlife rehabilitator.If you'll let me know which you want to do, I'll give you additional information;there's no additional fee. If you want to keep the skink, give me your zip code and I'll find you a vet, and I will give you care information. If you prefer a rehabber, give me your state. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well,Anna