Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

We have 7 month old veiled chameleon. he is very lathergic JA:

Customer Question

we have 7 month old veiled chameleon. he is very lathergic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the chameleon. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: pasqual
JA: Huh?
Customer: pasqual is his name.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pasqual?
Customer: he wont shoot his tongue yesterday he would just bite the crickets, wax worms etc.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he is in a 18x18x24 open terrium in a sun window. with a dripper. he normally eats crickets, started wax worms after he started acting weird. he doesnt shoot his tonge he ate wax worms yesterday. today he just sits in there with his eyes closed. He has only had vitamin C flukers without d3
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest Reptiles and reptile Rescue.Is the enclosure a screen type?Do you have an auto Mister?UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand and age of bulb?Basking bulb??Normal Diet?Supplements?Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
enclosure is screen type. we have a dripper at the top and mist the leaves daily as he usually drinks off of them. he has two bulbs forget the type a blue and white. A red one for heat to keep temp around 70 at night as in PA it can get cold at night with drafts. normal diet is crickets in flukers calcium w/out d3. just got wax worms yesterday just to try and get him something easier to eat. his legs look frail. not as strong as usual
I don't think its metabolic bone disorder?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i don't think its respiratory because he isn't sitting with his mouth open. I did notice maybe 3 days ago he wasn't using his tongue to shoot. he went into the feed bowl and would just bite the bugs and looked like he was struggling. he did poop last night at 3 am (i was up with the baby and happened to catch that glorious moment)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the local reptile pet store said he could have hurt his tongue. im just affraid of him starving himself to death now ? :(
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
his cage is 80-90 during the day @ the top
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hi,This does not sound like he sprung his tongue. It sounds more like this could be a vitamin deficiency issue. I am not so sure you have a UVB bulb. The UVB I recommend is a Reptisun 5.0 Linear tube. This will put out an acceptable amount of UVB to help metabolize the calcium in the body. These bulbs do need to be changed every 6 months, because they loose potency. Sunlight cannot penetrate glass, so being in a Sunroom does not offer adequate UVB rays.I do suggest a Herp Vet visit to be checked out for a Vitamin Deficiency. I can locate a Herp Vet with a state. To help in the mean time, get the UVB bulb that I recommended, start supplemental feeding with a chicken baby food mixed with some calcium and feed to the Chameleon to supplement the crickets. Stay away from wax worms they are too fatty.Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He does have 3 bulbs. 1 blue daylight, a reptu Sun 5 uvb and night red light. I'll switch uvb out. Bit we got him in December so bulb should be bad in 5 months already, maybe? Feed him chicken baby food with calcium or the crickets he might eat?
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
You can feed normal feeders, but to supplement the diet, I would use the chicken baby food mixed with calcium. You can also try some silk worms or Phoenix worms. They are soft bodied feeders and easier with the tongue not working properly. He should be getting a Vitamin 2 days a week.Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had spare bulbs so I just changed them all out. Swapped the worms for crickets cause protein is better than fat! We will see how he is in the am.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
We need to make sure you are misting more to prevent dehydration since he cannot use his tongue to catch the water droplets. If he is not responding tomorrow, I highly suggest a Herp Vet visit. When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service. You can still comeback here to follow up.Joan