Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Anna I have a veiled chameleon who is probably 5 or 6 years

Customer Question

Hi Anna
I have a veiled chameleon who is probably 5 or 6 years old. Last year he got several bumps on his skin near the hollow of where his leg joins his body and on his side I took him to the vet and she said if they don't seem to be bothering him to leave them be as operating in risky and expensive. In the last few months they've grown and are now bigger than a pea. They are hard. He's eating fine but seems more cranky than in the past. Not sure what to do. He's about the size of a squirrel. I used tube UV and done heat light. Love the little guy and try to give him the best life. Don't know what to do
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.Anna is away today. I can try and assist you, or if you would like to wait for Anna, please let me know. Can you please post a picture of what you are seeing?Is the Vet you are seeing a reptile Specialist?Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The vet is a Nyc aviary reptile vet. He said " truth Is science does not know much about chams. Operation 1000-1500 and risky
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Thank-you for the pictures. They look like a Viral Papiloma that we usually see around the mouth area in Chameleons. Without a Biospy there is no way to know if it is viral or if it is tumor. There is one Herp Vet that may be able to advise on this issue and that is Dr Douglas Mader. He is internationally know Reptile specialist and does consulting with Herp Vets on hard cases. This is the link for his practice in Key West, Florida: I would ask your Vet to do a consult on these growths with Dr Mader. He is tops in disease and research and may have some answers on these bumps and what treatment may be available.I wish I could give you something more definitive on these nodules, but as your Vet said so little is known and we are still learning about Chameleons and available treatments.Joan