Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My dwarf frog is floating at the top and puffed up Please help

Customer Question

my dwarf frog is floating at the top and puffed up Please help I feel terrible for him..... there is another frog in the tank with him is it safe for that frog to be in there?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the frog?
Customer: my dwarf frog is floating at the top and puffed up please help I feel terrible for him .......is there anything I can do and should I move him from the tank because I have another frog with him and don't want this frog to be sick. We just changed the water so is the water now infected too?
JA: Where does the frog seem to hurt?
Customer: Im just assuming he's not feeling well because he's so bloated and not moving much just hiding in his palm tree leaves at the top of the tank
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the frog. What is the frog's name and age?
Customer: snoball and he's about 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snowball?
Customer: just that he is a dwarf
frog and in a tank with another frog we just changed there water a few days ago and he didn't seem his size then looked a little bloated then and has just gotten worse by the day
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.Unfortunately known cure for Dropsey in frogs which is the bloating you are seeing and in most cases is fatal. Your other frog can contact this since he in the same tank. Remove Snoball to a new tank and treat the other tank as well. I would treat with an antibacterial medication called Maroxy since it is safe for frogs. Also use aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon fool per 10 gallons. Keeping the water exceptionally clean will also help the frogs.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan