Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My sons leopard gecko is no longer eating and legs are deformed.

Customer Question

My sons leopard gecko is no longer eating and legs are deformed. He just brought it to my attention. Has lost much weight. In doing some research it looks like calcium deficiency. If I can't get him to eat, how can I get calcium in him. Is it too late?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.Your gecko is showing signs of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD), which is what develops when a calcium deficiency goes on long enough. It may be too late, but we can certainly try. If you want to give the gecko the best chance possible, the best thing to do would be to take him to a reptile vet. Vets have special forms of calcium that can be injected. This link will take you to a directory of vets:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist If a vet isn't an option, I'll give you a first aid measure to take.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Add a big scoop of calcium powder and mix it in.Soak your gecko for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes, nutrients, and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. This isn't the most efficient way to get calcium into him, but it will help. He is also probably dehydrated from not eating, and the soaks will help with that. Be sure to supervise closely. Make sure your temperatures are right. Being even a bit too chilly can lead to a poor appetite, and decrease the ability to metabolize calcium. The warm side should be 88*F and the cool side 82*F, day and night. You can also try a special way to feed him. Get some plain meat baby food. Mix in some calcium powder. Drop a small dollop right on the end of his snout. Many times, reflexes will cause them to lick it off.This isn't a common problem in geckos, and they don't usually need UVB light, but in this case, your gecko will need one. I recommend a Reptisun 10.0 in the straight tube style. Pet store personnel may try to sell you full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, or UVA. They are NOT the same as UVB. So, be sure that whatever brand you buy specifically says UVB. You'll also need to make plain calcium powder (no added vitamin D3) available in a dish so the gecko can consume all she wants. The Flukers company makes a plain calcium powder. http://www.flukerfarms.com/vitaminsandhealth.aspx MBD can be reversed if proper measures are taken soon enough. I hope it isn't too late for Bandit. If you have more questions, just let me know. I wish you success with treatment. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?

Anna