Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My African spurred

Customer Question

My African spurred tortoise has eaten a few leaves of my Sago palm plant. He's 8 years old and is about 10 lbs. Any help?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. All parts of the sago palm are toxic. We cannot induce vomiting in a tortoise like we can a dog or cat, so the only thing to do is take your tortoise to a reptile vet. Depending on how long ago this happened, the vet may be able to lavage the stomach. If not, only supportive care will be able to be done. Fluids given by sub-Q may help. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist I know you would like a home remedy, and I would like to give you one, but unfortunately, this is a serious situation where there just isn't one. Your tortoise urgently needs to see a vet. If you have more questions, let me know. I hope Kobe will be fine. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This Didn't give me any info not online- I'm sorry but this is not worth 18 dollars!
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
There isn't any more information available anywhere. There is only one answer to your question, and that is that you need to see a vet. I can't lie to you and tell there's a remedy that doesn't exist. Since you are unhappy, I am sending your question to customer service for a refund. We want you to be satisfied. I hope your tortoise will be all right.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
Hi Megan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kobe. How is everything going?

Anna