Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

He hasnt eaten and wont hardly move or wake up. Vet says may

Customer Question

He hasnt eaten and wont hardly move or wake up. Vet says may be parasites.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the reptile will be able to digest that. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Draco 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Draco?
Customer: Hes a water dragon. Normally active. Seems to be dieing. How can I save him? Vet bill is too much.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Draco is so ill. Some additional information will help me determine what might help. His symptoms don't sound like parasites.How old is he?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the enclosure?How long has it been since Draco ate?What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?Is Draco passing normal droppings?What is the humidity level?Sorry to have so many questions, but this information is important.If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet because we are just beginning. Thank you.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
It appears you went offline without seeing my request for more information. Because I don't want you to have to wait any longer, I'm going to go ahead and answer as best I can without knowing those things. I’ll start with a first aid measure to take as soon as possible.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak Draco for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. If he's too weak to hold up his head, hold his nostrils out of the water. Be sure to supervise closely. One other thing you can do right away to help him is to make sure the temperature in the enclosure is kept at 85 to 90*F (29 to 32*C) day and night. While it's usually recommended that the temperature be lowered at night, when they're sick, it's better to keep them warm all the time. This link talks about that:, you’ll want daytime temperatures between 84* and 88* F (29*C to 31*C) and night time temperatures between 75* and 80* F (24* and 27*C). Sometimes being just a little too cold can lead to problems over time. You'll also want to make sure all other conditions are perfect for Draco.Water dragons need humidity at 80%. It’s difficult to keep it that high. After months or years of low humidity, it can have an affect on their health. Soil holds moisture much better than many of the substrates sold in pet stores. Live plants in the enclosure, misting several times a day, and keeping a solid cover over part of the top can all increase humidity. Pet store staff are often not well-informed about UVB light, and often sell lights that do not provide UVB. If you don't already have one, it's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays. If you are not sure if you have a UVB light, give me the brand name and I'll check for you. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope draco will be able to recover. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?