Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

He is twisting to the left and cannot seem to stand

Customer Question

He is twisting to the left and cannot seem to stand up straight. I am wondering if he has an ear infection... I have not seen him eat or drink. this morning he was curled in a little ball with his tail wrapped around a horn
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the reptile can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: I have a jackson chameleon. I have had him only 2 days
JA: What is the Jackson chameleon's name?
Customer: We haven't named him yet due to this issue. My young son is afraid to
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Jackson chameleon?
Customer: I am not familiar with this type of chameleon. We have a veiled and have had no issues.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special ineterst in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up? Is it a tank or screen enclosure?How old is the chameleon?Diet?Supplements?UVB light, strength, linear tube or compact coil and brand?Auto mister?State to locate a Herp Vet?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has a large screen enclosure. I have had him for less than two days. He has not had a vitamin supplement as of yet. He hasn't even eaten yet. He has a uv bulb. He has a heat lamp and his cage is in a sun room. He seemed fine on the road home and the first day. Yesterday I found him curled to one side in a ball. His mouth has been open. I thought he was dead but he was not.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was told he is 18 months old
Tube uv 15 watt onlky for reptiles but unclear as brand.
No vet and not sure what auto mister is
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried crickets. I try to keep him hydrated but have yet to see him drink.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
He sounds like he could be dehydrated and possible something Neurological going on. Chameleons are very fragile and can dehydrate easily. We usually suggest an auto mister that supplies a fine mist with water droplets, that will keep the Chameleon hydrated by moistening the skin as well as water droplets to drink. Make sure the temps are no more than 65-75 degrees in the enclosure because they enjoy the cooler temps. Stress is a big issue in Chameleons, which can set off a chain of issues. The UVB should be a Reptisun 5.0 linear tube for chameleons. This is a Care sheet for Jackson Chameleons: you supply a state I can locate a Herp Vet. With the symptoms he is showing I feel this does require a hands on exam. This could be a neurological issue or a Vestibular issue which is the apparatus that allows all living things to walk normally. In this case a hands on exam can determine and treat the Chameleon.JoanJoan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Joan thanks for your reply but it is nothing I didn't already know.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, with this type of issue it cannot be diagnosed without being seen and I have to be honest. I can give you some information on hydrating. You can use a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak and support him in a warm soak for about 7 mins. Reptiles can absorb fluids through the vent area. You can also try some supplemental feeding with some chicken baby food mixed with calcium powder and see if he will lick off his snout. These are only first aid measures and may or may not help. My fear is stressing him more and that can make things worse. If you supply a State I can locate some Herp Vets for you.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?