Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I am unsure what happened but i assume my bearded dragon

Customer Question

i am unsure what happened but i assume my bearded dragon (less than 3 mos) was bitten by the other beardie (same age but 3x the size) and her eye is bleeding and head looks pinched- what do I do
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Are the two Dragons housed together?Can you tell me about set up?Substrate?Diet veggies/Prey?Supplements?UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil strength, brand?Basking light?Temps in basking area, warm side and coll side of the tank?Passing normal stool? Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes they are housed together and typically are all over each other snuggling . They are each 3 months. They are housed in the hay (not carpet) and they have UV lighting and basking lights. They are not linear. There is a cool and hot side.No supplements. They eat veggies and crickets/mealworms.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
normal stool-
can i put antibiotic cream on the bite?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it seems like her head is sunk in and one side of her mouth is open like a stroke
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we are really scared and the nearest vet is over an hour away
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Please separate them asap. We never house two dragons in the same tank. They are territoral as they reach this age and will actually. fight to the death. The only time two Dragon are together is for breeding and then separated. Can you post a picture of the head and injury, so I can have a visual and decide best treatment. I have a lot of information and corrections on husbandry and diet for you. Can you also tell me what type of UVB bylb you were sold. It seems you were given poor information by the Pet supply. We will have to correct it.Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
60w uv light
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Thank you please give me a few mins to type the answer I am a bit slow and have a lot of information.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
I hate the pet shops sold you so much garbage when you could have a proper set up. If you need a Herp Vet please let me know. You have some major issues. I will address them one by one. Get rid of the straw. Loose substrates cause issues. Hay is not an acceptable substrate. Please use paper towels, cage Carpet or ceramic tile. Dragons need to have a UVB light. UVB rays which are needed to metabolize a calcium supplement into Vit D3 in the Dragons body. Without a UVB bulb the Calcium is prevented from being metabolized. You will need two light one a Linear tube Reptisun 10.0 and the other a white basking light for warmth. Without the proper lighting your Dragon will eventually be unable to walk due to MBD as mentioned above. The bulb you described is not a UVB bulb. The meal worms and super worms are high in chitin which is the hard outer shell and also high in fat. They are hard to digest and cause fatty liver and obesity. The basking area should be 105-110 the warm side 90's and the cool side 80's. This is important for digestion of food. The only acceptable feeders are silk worms, phoenix worms, dubia roaches and crickets. The prey at 1 years of age should be fed at 20% and veggies at 80%. The veggies should include collard greens, mustard greens, escarole dandelion greens, curley endives, butternut squash and some berries for a treat. To treat the area first use some plain saline solution without preservatives to clean the area. Next dilute some Betadine with warm water to a tea color and gently clean the area as this is a disinfectant and will aid with healing. last use some plain Neosporin to the area. This will need to be done 4 times a day. You need to separate them permently. As I said above they are territorial and eventually fight to the death. It looks like damage done by the other was nerve damage done by the other Dragon. You will need to get him/her to a Herp vet. If you supply a state I can locate a List and My find some closer. Right now she is in shock and will need quiet after treatment. Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
These are Herp Vets in NC: Please let me know if you have further questions. When I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars, so I can be compensated by the site for time and answers.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
How is the little Dragon today. Thought about him all night. Did you get him to the Herp Vet? Please let me know an update.Joan