Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I ordered some crickets from Backwater Reptiles and half

Customer Question

hi, I ordered some crickets from Backwater Reptiles and half of them were DOA, and they smelled awful. I fed some to our bearded dragons and their poop changed from dark green to grayish. Wondering if the crickets could have carried sickness to them.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Crickets can carry Parasites as well as carrying other bacteria like salmonella and ecoli. If the Crickets were not gut loaded that can account for stool color. The Dragons under a year of age should be getting 80% live prey and 20% good leafy greens. This is a good Nutrition sheet for the Dragons: would suggest if you notice any issues that you see a Herp Vet and have a fecal sample done to make sure all is normal. If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a State and I can locate some for you. Stool can change color with diet and what the prey is gut loaded with.I do suggest if you have the two dragons housed together they be separated before there is a major fight and injuries occur. Two males will fight as will two females and a Male will continuously breed a female. The oly time we bring to Dragons together is a controlled breeding and the female is brought to the male and then removed back to her enclosure.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gadzooks And Merlin. How is everything going?
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
How are your Dragons doing since we last talked. Please let me know.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
I just noticed I gave you wrong Nutrition link this is the correct one: