Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I bought my beardie ill from petland discount. he had a

Customer Question

I bought my beardie ill from petland discount. he had a bacterial infection which was healed with your advice to use vaginal cream. in the last few months I got him a new tank and he developed an eye infection which has spread to both eyes which the veterinarian could not fix. as a matter of fact, they prescribed me anti fungal cream to put into his eye but it didnt work. I returned him to petland and they promised to give him some care. I went to check on him and he was being neglected and basically dying. with sand substrate in his eyes and nose, he could barely breathe much less see and reduced to a less than 20 gallon tank. I was mortified. I immediately took him back and am now helpless. I have no idea how to revive him. he is not eating, can barely open his eyes, is lethargic. what can i do until Monday when I can take him to the vet (which i dont think will help very much!)
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Pet shops are all about selling and not care. I have fought with many about what you have described.. First thing is a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. Support in the soak for 8-10 mins. Dry him off and get him back into the warmed tank. We need to start supplemental feeding. Please mix some baby food green beans with some baby food chicken and calcium. Drop a dab on the snout and allow him to lick it off. If he will not lick it we may have to force feed with a syringe. We need to get food going in. For the eyes lets start with some Plain saline eye drops to flush them out. This is a cream that you can order for the eyes: you can pick up some Bee pollen and open the capsule and put some in the food mixture. This will help with appetite. It is the high potency bees feed the queen and we have found that this will increase immune system response and also appetite.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
How in the Dragon today? Please let me know how the soak and feeding went.Joan