Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Bloody mass protruding from anus JA: IÂ'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

bloody mass protruding from anus
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Mac
JA: How old is Mac?
Customer: He is about 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mac?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years working with Reptiles.Can you tell me what type of Reptile Mac is? I can assist you with this problemWhat is your State?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Leopard Gecko in Minnesota
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What can I do?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is blood all over the terrarium.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
please put the Leo on paper towels. Next take some sugar and place on a paper towel that has been folded and moisten the sugar into a paste and apply the paper towel with the sugar to the area. This will help reduce some of the swelling in the tissues. What you are seeing is a Prolapse. Keep the sugar paste on for about 10 Mins. and then clean with saline solution followed by some Ky personal lubricant without scent to additives. This will keep the area moist. The Leo will need to see a Herp Vet asap. You can repeat the treatment until you can get into the Herp Vet. This is a link for Herp Vets: The sugar paste and cold water should slow down any bleeding. This is considered an Emergency and The Vet will have to surgically tack the protrusion in place.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
How is your Gecko doing? Did you get him into the Herp Vet? Please send me an update?Joan