Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

My 3 y/o box turtle looks like she is bleeding at her hinge.

Customer Question

My 3 y/o box turtle looks like she is bleeding at her hinge. What could be wrong with her?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles.Can you tell me about the diet?Supplements?Habitat and is it inside or outside?UVB if inside, how old and strength?Diet?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She eats earth worms and occasional mealworms. She also eats commercial box turtle food (exoterra, juvenile) and Reptomin sticks. Most of her meals are dusted in calcium (also has vitamin D3). She gets vitamin A supplement with her worms. She is indoors in a 19x50 in aquarium. She has a heat lamp on one end which stays around 85 degrees ferhenheight during the day, and a UVB light that is replaced every 6 months. Her substrate is zoomed repti bark and she has spanghum moss to hide in. She has a dish of water that is changed daily with warm water to soak/ drink which she does for a few min each day when she eats.
She has been eating and defecating normally. I noticed some small bugs on her so I cleaned her off with a dilute chlorhexidine gluconate solution and put some triple antibiotic ointment on the hinge area that is red and bled a little bit. I moved her to a different, smaller container (still has heat and UVB) yesterday.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,You have done everything right as well as husbandry is perfect. The only thing that may have happened may have been a piece of bark lodged in the hinge area irritating and scrapping it. You can clean with a Water and Betadine solution and again use the Neosporin. It sounds like a superficial injury and as long as the bleeding is controled, I would just monitor the turtle.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
How is the turtle doing? Please let me know if the information helped.Joan