Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

We have a nine year old red eared slider. It got out of the

Customer Question

We have a nine year old red eared slider. It got out of the pond and was digging a deep hole. Do you think she is pregnant.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'll be happy to help you today. While turtles don't actually get pregnant, females do lay eggs even if no male has been present. Such eggs are not fertile, of course. Digging a hole is one of the chief signs that a turtle needs to lay eggs. The best thing to do is let her finish the hole and give her time to lay eggs. But keep an eye on her to make sure no predators (dogs, raccoons, etc. ) grab her. If she has been with a male and the eggs may be fertile, how long it will take for the eggs to hatch depends on several factors, including local temepratures. Most native (USA) turtles take around 60 days, but some go as long as 90. The mother won't come back. Turtles lay their eggs and leave them. As soon as the babies hatch, they'll seek water. There isn't really much you can do to help because the turtles are independent the moment they hatch. If you're able to check the eggs regularly, and happen to be there when the hatchlings head for water, you can trail along with them to keep them out of trouble on the way. This could be important if they have to cross roads or go through areas where children play in order to get to water. Some people also protect nests of unhatched eggs by putting a sturdy fence around the nest to keep out predators that will eat the eggs. Only do this if you're able to check the nest daily because once the turtles hatch, they want to get to water quickly, and you'll have to release them. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope all will proceed smoothly. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!