Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

I have a 3 year old Mediterranean tortoise who has been unwell

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old Mediterranean tortoise who has been unwell with a respiratory infection for the past 10 days. She is not feeding and moves about very little. I take him daily to the vet and he gets antibiotics, vitamins and drip via injections. However, I am not seeing much improvement. I force feed him everyday and soak him in warm water and carrot and pumpkin juice daily. Do these kind of infections take long to be sorted out and is there anything else I can do to help? The weather here in Malta is very much like summer with temperatures close to 30 degrees Celsius so I take him out in the garden during the day. However, I move him indoors at night. I am also putting some eyedrops because though his eyes are mostly clean and clear, one especially sometimes oozing just a bit of mucus.
Thankyou for your help.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will be useful. What is the name of the antibiotic your vet gives?Does the tortoise live inside during the colder parts of the year? If so, in what kind of enclosure? What kinds of lighting and heating equipment?How long was the tortoise sick before seeing the vet? Thank you. Anna
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Most of the winter he was kept Indoors at night, we had an extremely mild winter this year. For some time he was staying with a female tortoise his age who had the same kind of infection at around Xmas. He, however, was doing well. I only noticed that something was wrong a few days before taking him to the vet. Will check at vet later on for name of antibiotics.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. Respiratory infections in tortoises are quite contagious, so I'm not surprised yours became ill. The name of the antibiotic is pretty important, so I'll wait to proceed until you're able to get that from the vet.