Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Destiny, I'm looking into information about my baby beardie

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's very shaky, weak just lays under her log most days. She'll come out to eat then goes back under, hardly ever wants to be handled, if I try to hold her her whole body freezes and she's just very stressed so I put her back. I need help I don't want to lose her.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Substrate?Diet Veggies/Prey?Supplements?Temps in basking area, warm sie and cool side?UVB light, Coil or Linear tube, strength, and brand?Passing stool, is it normal?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just a little terra aquarium Dessert set up I have sand on one side, then soft recycled cardboard on the other, I have 75w day and night uvb bulbs, crickets, mealworms, collard greens, celery, yeah her stools seem normal, I did have to have her put on antibiotics because she had coccidia.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Night Bulb is not UVB bulb, You need a Reptisun 10.0 linear tube for UVB light. Any thing else is not UVB. You also need a basking light. Never feed meal worms. The loose substrate needs to go she needs to be on paper towels especially with Coccidia. We only keep dragons on sold substrate. loose are sold at the store and highly dangetous as the can be ingested and cause a blockage. San and walnut shell are two of the worst. You can use paper towels which is recommended for young dragons, tile or cage carpet. Albon for coccida is very dehydrating and the Dragon needs to be soaked in a pedialyte and warm water soak.Getting back to the UVB light the Dragon with out a UVB light will become lethargic get tremors and will not be able to absorb the calcium into the body and turn it into D3. Without the UVB the Dragon is showing signs of Metabolic Bone Disease. The Dragon needs the UVB asap and I would also start the soak asap as I said in a 50/50 warm water and pedialyte soak. it just needs to be shallow and cover the Vent where they pass stool and make sure to support the Dragon in the soak. If you do not have a Herp vet please supply a State.Bearded Dragon Care SheetBearded dragons should be housed alone.Can live aslong as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.A hide of some sort like a cave.A food dish and water dish.Plastic spray bottleCan use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.Digital thermostat and/or temp gunTank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon longMinimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.1. A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:Basking area 105*-110*FWanm side mid 90'sCool side: 85*-87*FMeasure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens.A baby eat 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.*Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.If you have any further questions feel free to ask. I like to start people off with proper husbandry and then see if I can further assist. Fruits and Vegetables Walnut shell Graphic: Sexing bearded Dragons: Bone Disease: I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars. If you have questions, please hit reply.JoanI am going to give you my personal care sheet and please read through it and hit reply to ask questions.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?