Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

My red foot tortoise is swollen especially its neck. 8'' lon

Customer Question

my red foot tortoise is swollen especially its neck. 8'' long sub adult I'm guessing female. could it be a digestive tract block?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.When the neck is swollen, it most often indicates a problem with the ears, usually an infection. These infections have to be treated with safe prescription antibiotics.If the legs are swollen, there are several possible causes, including Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). This is especially likely if your tortoise lives bodies and is not given a UVB light or the light is older than 6 months. Calcium deficiency is another possibility. A cuttlebone placed in the enclosure is a good way to provide calcium. They are sold in pet stores in the bird department.All over swelling often indicates kidney failure. In tortoises, blockages are often evident only by the lack of droppings being passed, but without an x-ray, we can't be sure of that.Regardless of what is wrong, this is not something you can diagnose and treat on your own. Your tortoise needs to be seen by a reptile vet. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your tortoise will reach a full recovery.Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?