Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a bearded dragon JA: I'll do all I can to help. What

Customer Question

I have a bearded dragon
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dragon?
Customer: He's not acting like he usually does.
JA: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?
Customer: His beard has turned black and he has been breathing deep and heavy and even hissed, or it seems like it hissed at me.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No it doesn't seem that anything is wrong.
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dragon eating normally?
Customer: Though he is sitting on me with his eyes closed.
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: He has been up to today
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing that I can tell except it's been like this for a few hours.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. The virtual assistant working with you before asked a few questions, but some additional information will help me to determine the best steps for you to take.How old is your dragon?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?What do you feed him? Any supplements?Is he passing normal droppings?What substrate do you use on the cage floor ?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet because we are just beginning. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He passed. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry to hear that. You were trying to get help - there was nothing more you could have done. From what you initially described, I suspect he may have had a respiratory system problem. That could be an infection that progressed to pneumonia, choking, or if he was an older dragon, he could have had a tumor in his lungs. For him to pass so quickly, whatever it was became serious in a hurry.I know that words don't really help, all I can do now is offer my condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss.Anna