PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 years experience in veterinary medicine, special interest in reptiles and arachnids.
8538164

Our tortoise has been severely attacked by our dog. He has

Customer Question

our tortoise has been severely attacked by our dog. He has an open wound on the top, shell bitten off around the front and back and a severely cracked shell. We are washing the wound with cooled boiled water but it is Sunday night and no vets are open. He is alive and moving, what more can we do before taking him to the vet tomorrow morning?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Jacustomer, I am so sorry to hear that your tortoise has been attacked. The injured portions of the shell needs to be kept as free from debris as possible. Move your tortoise to an area that has a minimal amount of dirt and debris that could get into the wound. Covering the wound with moist saltine-soaked gauze pads would be wise. If you can tape them gently to the shell, that may help. The biggest hurtle is keeping the shell stable until he can be examined, so consistent monitoring is necessary. If I can answer other questions on this topic or clarify points, please let me know. I hope there's a positive outcome for your guy. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy