Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I have a leopord gecko and there is something attached to his

Customer Question

I have a leopord gecko and there is something attached to his behind, it looks like a long stringy piece of feces but at his anus it almost looks like a part of his inside is coming out its red and irritated but i cant tell if its bleeding, please help my gecko is only four months to five months old i dont want him to pass away:(
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.What you have described is a Prolapse and the Gecko will have to see a Herp Vet. WE can try some first aid until you see a Herp Vet. Please make sure all you have is paper towels down in the bottom of the tank. Please rinse the area with some sterile saline solution. Then take a most paper towel with cool water and place some sugar on it and moisten it into a paste. Pllay it to the area. This helps shrink some of the tissues. It is important that you get to the Herp Vet asap. This is a lonl for Herp Vets in Canada: It is imperative that you keep the area clean and moist. The Gecko will need surgery to replace the Prolapse.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
How is the gecko today? Did you get it into the Herp Vet? Please let me know how she is doing.Joan