Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Im having swelling at the of my lepopard gecko hes about

Customer Question

im having swelling at the butt of my lepopard gecko hes about 7 years old normal sized male and im not sure if it is clogged/impacte with poop or just swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the gecko's name?
Customer: some sand/ground oat whihc is what i use for the base of his tank got into the butt area and i slowly pulled it out without hurting him hopefully :(
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: his name is tim
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Reptiles.Can you please post a Picture of the area so I can have a visual.Joan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thats the only picture i could get right now ill try to get another one around 9 when i get out of class
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank-you That is the hemipenis in that area. From the picture it looks like there can be an infection or a rupture in that area. This definitely requires a Herp Vet visit asap. You can try a warm compress on the area, but if I am correct the Gecko will require an antibiotic and further treatment to reduce the swelling. If you need a Herp Vet please let me know a State and I can locate some for you.Joan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Heres another picture of the infection/swelling a bit better
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.
The Hemipenis is Prolapsed, will require Veterinary Care. It means ir has come out of te retaining sack. You need to take a paper towel and place some sugar on it, moisten with cool water and make sugar into a paste and apply it to the Hemipenis. This will help reduce some of the swelling. He needs to see a Herp Vet asap because it may need sugrical intervention. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State.Joan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have already scheduled an appointment for 4pm today and i will let them handle the rest but do you recommend i do the paper towel with sugar on the spot before i go or...
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.
Yes , we want to keep it moist and try and reduce welling. you can just use some plain cold sugar water to make it easier on you and the Gecko. If I have addressed you concerns please rate my service 5 stars.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.
How is the Gecko doing? Was the Vet able to replace the hemipenis? Please let me know.Joan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He wasable to give me a solution to give to him for a week or so to see if the swelling would go down in the hemipenis and im monitoring him every hour i can besides that it still makes me nervous so just making sure hes breathing and swelling went down slightly in the last 24 hours since the visit and giving him the first vial of medicine justhope he pushes through it so no drastic measures have to come into play :(
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.
If cannot be replaced we do remove with no bad effects, so he should be okay one way or the other. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service it would be appreciated. and Please keep me updated.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.
How is your Leopard Gecko? Wanted to doing better and if they were able to get the Hemipenis back into place.Joan