Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My daughter's veiled chameleon won't open it's eyes or eat

Customer Question

My daughter's veiled chameleon won't open it's eyes or eat.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
Hello,My name is Joan and I have been a vet tech for 30+ years with special interst in reptiles and reptile rescueWhat type of enclosure do you have?UVB light, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?Auto mister or dripper?Diet?Supplements?How long has it ben this way?Joan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's a reptile terrarium 24" wide. There is a UV linear lamp and a heat lamp. Heat lamp is 75 watt bulb, brand new bulb. There is a dripper and we manually spray the terrarium twice a day. Diet consists of meal worms with calcium supplement. Been this way for the ls 3-5 days.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
I needed to know the age on the UVB bulb as they loose potency ad by 6 months need to be changed. Also needed to know oif this was a screen enclosure, since tanks are not good for Chameleons, the need the air flow. It is possible the Chameleon is dehydrated, we can try doing a soak in a 50% water and 50% Pedialyte. The water does not have to be deep, just enough to cover the vent area where they pass stool. Reptiles ca absorb fluids through that area and the skin. If the chanemeon dos not respond to the soak there may be something more going on . At that point, a Herp Vet visit will be required for a hand on examination. Chameleons are more fragile than most reptiles and can stress easier leaving them open for problems. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State.Joan