Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

He's gurgling and not eating. He's wheezing and sometimes he

Customer Question

He's gurgling and not eating. He's wheezing and sometimes he coughs and shakes his body hard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Sorin and he's 4. The veterinarian has no clue.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No that's all
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He's so lethargic and I have to force feed him he's wheezing and I'm scared but the vet sees none of this and suggests its behavioral but he wouldn't go limp and cough because of behavioral things
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a vet tech for 30+ years with special interst in reptiles and reptile rescue.Can you tell me what type of reptile?Was the Vet a Reptile Specialist?Did Vet do an Xray or other tests like a culture?I will have some further questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He's a bearded dragon. Yes Vet is an exotic animal specialist. She said there's no reason for X-rays or culture because she didn't see anything physically.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
Can you tell me about the set up?Substrate?UVB light, age of bulb, strength, linear tube or compact coil and brand?Diet Veggies and prey?Supplements?Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?Did the vet hear what you have described?Would you consider getting a second opinion?Joan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
50 gallon terrarium. Reptile carpet. He eats mostly veggies, crickets, and the occasional wax worm. Basking area temp is around 90-100. Cool side is around 75°. She didn't hear it. And she's the only vet in state. She says its behavioral.. but he's limp sometimes so I don't think so
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
What State? I have listings for herp Vets all over. Husbandry sounds good., From what you described, even if she did not see anything Physically, you know her better than anyone. If you feel something is wrong in my opinion an X ray should be done if you are willing to pay for it. gurgling can indicate the onset of respiratory disease, pneumonia and even heart disease.Joan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
North Carolina. He sounds like he's trying to get something up like mucus.. his chest is rattling. The vet said she heard nothing, and when she handed her back to me I heard the wheezing myself. So I'm skeptical of her.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
I have found quiet a Few Reptile and exotic Vets in NC: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/northcarolina.html If you are willing to pay for an Xray there should be no problem to check out you Dragon. As I say you know your Dragon as if it would be a child, so I would see one of the other Vets.Joan