Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

My bearded Dragon is not pooping JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

My bearded Dragon is not pooping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about 6 months old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I've giving him warm bath and rubbed his stomach for at least 20 min today
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.You are on the right track with soaks and massage, but we can make it better. Buy some baby food prunes and some Pedialyte. Drop a small dollop of the prunes right on the end of Leon's snout. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If he does, wait about 45 minutes before proceeding. If he won't eat it, just go on to the next step. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water (at about 98*F). The water should be deep enough to cover the vent (where droppings pass out). For the first ten minutes, just soak him. Then for ten minutes more, massage the underside from mouth to vent - one direction only. You can try this twice this evening. If another attempt doesn't get results, it will be best to see your vet.There may be some factors that have led to the problem. Make sure Leon's basking area is 105*F to 110*F. The cool side should be 80*F to 85*F. Being even a little too cool can cause a sluggish digestive system.If you use a loose substrate, such as crushed walnut or calci-sand, get rid of it. Pet stores recommend these because they are money makers. They cause impaction, eye infections, and skin irritations, no matter what the package might say. Reptile carpet or ceramic tile will make better substrates.Meal worms and super worms are another common cause of constipation. They're fine for some other lizards, but not for Beardies. They contain too much chitin, which builds in the intestines over time because dragons can't digest it. Crickets and silkworms are better prey insects.If you have more questions, just let me know. The baby food prunes often make all the difference in cases like this. I hope they'll work for Leon, too.Anna
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there such things as to many bath
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Spending too much time in water could lead to chilling because the bath won't be as warm as the cage. Regardless, two half hour baths per day are plenty for a constipated or sick dragon. Healthy ones don't need that many.If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just checking to see how Leon is doing. I hope he has been able to poop by now. Let me know if you need additional information. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?