Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My name is ***** *****, JA: Thanks. Can you give me any

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Our bearded dragon is acting strange...we have had him for 4 years and familiar with his molting behavior, and change of weather erratic changes...this time he is acting more lethergic than normal, and has bubbles in his mouth. Please help.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech working with Reptiles for 30+ years.Can you tell me about the set up?Substrate?Diet Prey/Veggies?Supplements?UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, age, and brand?Basking light?Temps in Basking area, Warm side and cool side?Passing stool?Joan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks; lizard eats giant meal worms..has a basking and uvb light,; also feed kale to lizard; not sure of temps.
Lizard looks alive still, eyes open, but tail and neck still black.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I read a little, didn't know what you meant by substrate....we do have sand at the bottom of the terrarium; lizard is about 5 years old.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
HiYou have some husbandry issues which can be causing the Dragon the problems you are seeing. The Sand can cause some major issues with a Dragon.I suggest using a solid substrate like tile, cage carpet, tile, slate or paper. The basking area should have 105*-110*F and the cool side of the tank in the 85* range. This is important for digestion and passing of stool. If the temps are not correct, this can also cause a problem.You need to have 2 lights, a day time basking bulb as well as a UVB. I recommend a reptisun 10.0 and UVB lights do not put out heat. The UVB bulb is needed to stop Metabolic Bone Disease. The UVB needs to be changed every 6 months. The bulb you have described is not a UBV Bulb.The UVB should be a tube type.Coil UVB bulbs can injure the eyes.Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm This should not be giving off a lot of heat, but UVB rays.The UVB bulb should not have any plastic between it and the Dragon, it needs to run the length of the tank and be no more than 12" from the Dragon. Both lights should run daily for 12-14 hours a day. UVB cannot penetrate glass so sitting by the window, does not supply UVB rays which are needed to metabolize calcium.You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They need 20% veggies daily and 80% live prey under a year of age and over a year the percentages reverse.The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms. Mal worms and super worms are high in chitin which is the outer shells and can cause a blockage.Super worms and wax worms are like giving the Dragon candy and can cause liver issues. All veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week.For now we need to give the Dragon a soak in 50/50 warm water and plain Pedialyte to prevent dehydration. Please soak at least 30 mins and massage the abdomen while in the soak. I would make any changes that you see here that are not correct. The Kale you are feeding Binds calcium so dietary change will be needed as well as making sure the lighting and supplements are being used. I do suggest a Herp vet visit to help rule out a parasite issue. If you do not have a Herp Vet please let me know and I can locate one with a State.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan