Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My chameleon is dark in color and has been hiding in the corner

Customer Question

my chameleon is dark in color and has been hiding in the corner of the habitat looking lethargic. the kids told me it hissed loudly this morning. It seems hes been eating but there are left over worms.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Dark. How old is Dark?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** is maybe 8 months?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: he has some small white spots on his veil
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: our thermomter isnt working so I dont know the temp but we live in southern california (which is warm) and he has his basking and UV lights on and the temperature is pretty consistent
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.Please forgive the virtual assistant, it is improperly programmed.Can you tell me what kind of chameleon?Type of enclosure, screen or tank?UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?Basking light?Automister?Temps?Diet?Supplements?Joan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi JoanVeiled chameleon
Basking light
Diet wax and meal worms with calcium, occasionally crickets
Temps 85-90
Large glass aquarium (talk rectangular), screened top
Coconut bedding
We mist by hand
Uvb light maybe 4 months old
New basking light I think 65watts
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Coiled uvb light
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
Hi,Usually we see problems with a Tank. I recommend a screen enclosure. Chameleons need air flow through the enclosure. The tanks lead to respiratory infections and fungal infections. From your description it sounds like the chameleon is cold. They do get dark when ill and cold. I would like to try hydration therapy. WE do this by giving a soak in a shallow solution of Warm water and Pedialyte. tis helps with electrolytes and fluids. Chameleons like most reptiles can absorb fluids through the skin and the Vent area. Please soak 8-10 mins. The UVB should be changed every 6 months and I suggest a reptisun 5.0 linear tube. You may want to recheck your temps as well. This is a Care sheet to help correct the husbandry: http://chameleoncare.net/care-sheet/Right now the soak is very important. I suggest a dripper or an automister. These little guys dehydrate easily. If not eating you can supplemental feed using some chicken baby food mixed with some calcium powder. If the soak does not help, then a Herp vet visit will be needed. These guys are stoic and do not show illness easily, so onces showing it is impotant to get care asap. If you need a Herp Vet please supply a State.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan