Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I have a bearded dragon of about 3-4 months, and he's been

Customer Question

I have a young bearded dragon of about 3-4 months, and he's been walking strangely for the passed two weeks. I thought perhaps it was because of his flooring at first, but it wasn't. I figured out too late that the petstore I went to had advised me on the wrong lightbulb, and I have only been providing him heat instead of the necessary UVB lighting for the passed month and a half. He's walking very strangely, and I know it's because of MBD. He doesn't have any swelling, or strange lumps, the only things he's suffering from his walking strangely and not eating enough. I have corrected the issue, is there anything else you would advise me to do? Can I force feed him? Can I get him the calcium he needs myself without going to a herp vet?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's in a 20 gallon right now because he's young. He now has a basking and UVB light bulb, and he's only eating about 12 crickets a day. I try to feed him at sporadic times, but sometimes he'll eat and other times he won't
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

What type of diet are you feeding prey Veggies?

What type of UVB light did you get? Linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

What type of calcium are you using?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm feeding him collard greens with kale usually as his veggies. I just got a reptile veggie mix though for him.I have repti sun 5.0 UVB lighting as well as repti sun basking light 100 watts. I recently just got the UVB lighting though because when I asked the pet store what lighting I needed when I first got my little guy they handed me only the UVA lighting bulb and said that's what I needed.I'm dusting the crickets with zoo meds reptivite.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

Thank-yo.u for the info. The UVB is not strong enough. Dragons require an Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. That is very important. Stop the Kale immediately. It binds Calcium and is not a staple veggie. You cannot rely on the Pet shops for proper information. YOu will want to feed right now 80% prey including crickets, silk worms, phoenix worms and dubia roaches. No meal worms and no super worms. The Veggies right now at 20%. This will be until a year old. Feed collard greens escarole, curly endives, butternut squash, dandelion greens and mustard greens. You need to start calcium Glubionate. You can get it here: follow the instructions.

The substrate in the tanks should be solid. Cage carpet, tile or paper. No loose . If these chances so not help within a week or two and you see some changes, then a Herp Vet visit will be needed.

Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

I am checking in on the Dragon to see if you have made the changes and how the Dragon is doing. Please let me know if the information has been helpful

Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?