Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Ive been advised to give electrolytes to my chameleon to

Customer Question

Ive been advised to give electrolytes to my chameleon to help rehydrate him. We currently have Exo Terra CALCIUM, which is liquid calcium magnesium supplement, Nutrobal and Exo Terra Multi-vitamin. Could
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'll be happy to help you today.

None of the things you have on hand are electrolytes and will not help with dehydration. You need to buy an electrolyte solution. In the UK, it would be a product called Lectaid, which is sold in pet stores. You can also use one of the electrolyte solutions made for sick children. These are sold in pharmacies. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 electrolyte solution. Soak your chameleon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

Short of having a vet administer fluids, the above is the best way to rehydrate. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your chameleon will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is the name of the electrolyte solution called ? Just Lectaid?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the one for sick children...
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.

Yes, just Lectade (sorry for the typo above) or Lectade Concentrate.

If you look for human products, some are:

* Infalyte
* Kao Lectrolyte
* Naturalyte
* Oralyte
* Pedialyte
*Dioralyte
* Rehydralyte
* Resol
* Lytren
* Gastrolyte
* Pedialyte
* Rapolyte

The easiest way to find one for sick children is to ask the chemist/pharmacist.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they will work fine on him? they wont have a negative impact or any side effects
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ive already ordered Reptoboost, which will arrive thursday, but id like to start today so will the human electrolytes work just as effectively and quickly?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Very worried about him as hes not eating now either.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Overly sleeping in the day is bad isnt it.
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.

They should be fine. I am in the States, and we use infant Pedialyte all the time.

the only caution I would giv eyou is that if a vet didn't diagnose this problem, doing any kind of home treatment may risk your chameleon's health. They are among the most fragile of lizards, and once they develop a health condition, they seldom recover without actual veterinary care. If you haven't already seen a vet, these links will take you to directories of UK reptile vets:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/vets.php

http://www.ukbeardeddragons.co.uk/vet%20directory.htm

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
oh god really? So us rehydrating him and me asking you advice is not worth it? we might as well just go to a vet?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we havent seen a vet yet, but i would definitely say he is incredibly dehydrated http://chamworld.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/health-section-dehydration.html
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
neither of this vet sites you sent me exist
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.

Rehydrating him immediately could save his life, so I would definitely do that first. If he perks up and seems to be doing much better, then continue the rehydration. If you don't get a response quickly, then he may need fluids given subcutaneously. Only you can make the decision. I hope that whatever you do, he will be fine.

Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.
The human kind will work well. From what you have described, your chameleon is near death. I hate to give you bad news, by I believe you deserve honesty. If he were mine, I would be on my way to a vet. I hope he will be OK.