Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My tortoise top of s mouth seems to come out like a small

Customer Question

My tortoise top of his mouth seems to come out like a small hook over the bottom of his mouth is there something wrong ,and can he eat properly with it like this
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

This is not normal, and can interfere with eating if it has progressed long enough. There are several possible causes of an overgrown beak. Some additional information will help us narrow it down.

Does your tortoise live indoors or outside?

If outside, is he exposed to sunlight year round?

If indoors, what brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?

What is the tortoise fed? Does he receive any supplements?

Thank you.

Anna