Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Our Leo has had a poor appetite and has lost weight. We have

Customer Question

Our Leo has had a poor appetite for months and has lost weight. We have had 2 trips to the vet, both at which we were told to change certain aspects of habitat. We have changed bulbs, hides, substrate, food type, etc but nothing seems to help. We started to force feed it a month ago but then a reptile store told us that it's too stressful for him. I am now starting to think that it is parasites. His poop is watery and I am doubtful I can get a sample. He is a single Leo in a 20 gal tank. Daytime is around 90, night is 75-80. Paper towel substrate. Current diet is butter worms. Stopped giving crickets, mealworms and wax worms since he stopped eating them
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the cricket can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cricket's name?
Customer: Our Leo is Timmy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear your gecko is not well.If he has parasites, a stool sample is essential. A vet should be able to take a sample internally. Perhaps the vet you have seen isn't actually a reptile vet. If that's the case, give me your location, and I'll try to find other vets for you.In the meantime, he is probably dehydrated. I'll give you a first aid measure for that. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water. Soak your gecko for 20 to 30 minutes twice per day.Rather than force feeding, you can try something else. Buy some plain meat baby food. Drop a small dollop right on the end of his snout. Many times, reflexes will cause them to lick it off.I'm going to suggest another change to habitat, too. Leopard geckos do best with the same temperature gradient day and night, with the warmest area at 88*F and the cool side at 82*F. Under the tank heat mats are the best way to provide heat for them.Like you, I suspect either parasites or a bacterial infection. In order to treat either of those you need a definite diagnosis from a vet.If you have more questions, or you need help finding a reptile vet, just let me know. I hope Timmy will reach a full recovery.Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna