Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Joan My ball python started having the blue/cloudy eyes a

Customer Question

Hi Joan
My ball python started having the blue/cloudy eyes a few weeks to a month ago. That lasted about a week and then the eye caps became wrinkled. They have now been like that since. The scales around the mouth appear that he is going through the shed precess (opaque looking) but nothing else is happening. Is this nornal for shedding? How long is this supposed to last? This is our first snake and would be his first shed. I read if they arw shedding we probably shouldnt feed him however its been 3 weeks. Any info would be appreciated!
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have Been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest In Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

A full shed can take anywhere from around 9-14 days. Snakes generally do not eat when their eyes are cloudy. when there is a problem shed we usually look at husbandry. The temps, the humidity, and substrate. We also look for dehydration and an underlying problem in the snake. The Humidity needs to be proper at this time of shed at 50-70%. If the humidity is too low the shed is going to be a problem. For humidity you can make sure there is a big enough bowl for the snake to crawl in. Add a humidifier to the room, you can give the snake some nice warm soaks daily, and lastly you can add some warm moist towels in the enclosure.

Stress can be a big problem with the snake not shedding properly and not eating. Lst the snke may have an underlying medical condition.

In this case I would try raising the humidity, keeping the snake in a low traffic quiet area and if he does not shed by next week a Herp Vet visit should be done to see what may be the cause. If you need a Herp Vet, I can locate some for you with a State. If I have addressed you concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars.

Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Diablo. How is everything going?